[AT] Fwd: saw

Roger Moffat rogerkiwi at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 07:14:55 PST 2019

> On Mar 9, 2019, at 9:15 AM, Stephen Offiler <soffiler at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Antarctica!  You must have some stories, Roger!

Yes - a few I guess. It was a fantastic experience. I was there for a couple of weeks longer than 12 months, so saw a full season of weather and sun and lack of sun.

When I got there on 2 October 1992 the sun was rising and setting “normally” with a day length of about 16 hours and a night length of about 8 hours. That changed rapidly, so that by about 22 October the sun had set for the last time, and was now up 24 hours a day.

This lasted for 4 months until around 22 Feb when the sun set again for the first time. Then over the period of about 2 months we went from 24 hours daylight and no dark to 24 hours dark and no daylight. This lack of sun lasted 4 months until around 22 August when the sun first peeked over the northern horizon again for the first time. Then the day length changed rapidly again heading towards 22 October when the sun was again fully up.

Roger