[AT] OT Weather

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Thu Mar 7 18:16:14 PST 2019

For over 2 weeks now we have had 20-30 degree below normal temperatures
( tv weathermans words, not mine). We had no fall or indiansummer last
year; just winter set in. For the first time in my lifetime the winter
wheat never came up. It was planted on time, as were thousands of acres
around me, but after planting we didn't have a single day over 50.
Usually we get several 70 or so degree days to bring it up. Plus we have
had so much cold lately no one can even guess if the wheat will
survive.  On the personal side, I also have a bad back. I can only walk
75 feet without a lot of pain and use my Polaris Ranger or my little
electric 4 wheel scooter to get around. In fact, that little scooter is
the only way I can enjoy tractor shows. I too can do the farming if I
have help to lift things such as filling the corn planter. However, if I
get down on the ground to dig up seed to check planting depth I must be
sure to be next to a tractor tire to help pull myself up. This getting
old is a real hoot. Many have told me I should rent out the land but you
have to do something to keep a little active. Also, and I won't get into
it here, I have really been able to enjoy the farming since my dad died
15 years ago.
           Greg Hass