[AT] IH Fast Hitch

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 16:03:35 PST 2019

Substantially true, but few things with IH were that simple.  The 404 and 504 both hit the market at essentially the same time.  Both had draft sensing 3-point hitches.

Prior to the 404/504, a commercial (non-draft control) 3-point was available for both the 240 Utility and 340 Utility.  It was not aimed at farming so much as highway mowers and the like.  These were offered from about 1959.  There was also a 3-point Fast-Hitch for these tractors.  It was sort of like a 2-point plus a 2- to 3-point adapter all built together.  It used a short top link.  It used the same draft control as the 2-point on each tractor.  It was available from 1958.

The European tractors are another story.  The B-250 was built in England starting 1956 or so.  It had a 3-point hitch although I don’t know any details of it.  As far as I know, it was the first British IH tractor with 3-point.  Except for a small test marketing, the B-250 was not imported to the US but was to Canada.  The B-275 was essentially an upgraded B-250.  I believe it started production in 1958 and was brought to the US and Canada the same year.  IH built 3-point equipped tractors in both Germany and France, but I have no specifics on either as neither were imported to the US.

Jim Becker