[AT] Farmall 404 had Category 1 3 point hitch.

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 08:27:56 PST 2019

Diana's dad's job title was farm manager. It was a 640 acre east central
Indiana grain, hog and beef farm. He of course used all of the tractors on
the farm regularly but the one he had a personal attachment to was the
little Farmall Super C chore tractor that had been bought new mostly just
for his use. He gardened pretty heavy and they had bought a plow for it
which sat under a crude little corrugated steel shelter in a back corner of
his yard and he used it each year to plow his two gardens. The Super C
during the years I was around (We started dating in March of 1962)  spent
most of its time with a feed trailer hitched to it. In the winter he
mounted a Heat-Houseron it. In its earlier years I understood that it was
actually used to plow with to help the larger tractors get it done.
Diana's 4 brother's were not regular employees of the farm but all of them
did occasionally drive tractor for spending money and also they worked
during hay baling.
In those years before my time they also owned a Farmall Cub and it was
narrowed up for pulling a once horse drawn between the rows wheat drill. I
know they did pull a trailer with it some. I 'm not aware what else it
might have been used for. I talked a great deal with my father in law but I
guess I never asked him about that. Their family moved to that farm about
1950 and at that time there were still work horses on the farm. Two of her
older brothers remembered the horses and told of watching her dad trim the
huge hooves by making the horse place his hoof on a tree stump and
carefully trimming the hooves with a wood chisel to prepare for shoeing.

.

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:32 AM Al Jones <farmallsupera1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 404 and 504 were the first American IH tractors with three point hitch and
> draft control.  There were several 404s around here, all International
> (utility) versions, not Farmall row-crops.  They were 3 plow tractors (36
> hp)  in the same class as the MF 135, Ford whatever, etc.
>
> The family lineage from the Farmall C is very evident if you park them
> side by side.  The C-135 engine looks almost identical to the C-113 and
> C-123 in the C and Super C.
>
> My dad bought a new 424 instead of a 404.  From a distance they look
> identical until you get closer.  They have the same horsepower.  The 424
> was based on the British IH B-414. He liked the 8 speed transmission and
> the 424 had about a 6" shorter wheelbase.  424 also weighs more.  Without
> power steering the 404 handles much better.  Both tractors will pull the
> same implements around here.
>
> Al
>
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 12:27 AM James Peck <jamesgpeck at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Tractor is red
>> Tractor is narrow front
>> Tractor does not have Fast Hitch
>>
>> But, it does have three point hitch.
>>
>> Draft sensing on the top
>>
>> https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=farmall&th=415682
>>
>> *                       By 1961, the tractor industry and their customers
>> - the farmers - had reached a consensus that the Ford-Ferguson three-point
>> hitch system was the best way to attach implements to the tractors. IH
>> abandoned their own two-point hitch system for the three point with the
>> introduction of the Models 404 and 504 with 36 and 45 HP respectively.
>>
>> https://livinghistoryfarm.org/farminginthe50s/machines_02.html

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA