[AT] now garden tractor

farmallgray at aol.com farmallgray at aol.com
Fri Mar 1 08:23:01 PST 2019

As far as I'm concerned Cub Cadets are "real" tractors, just smaller versions. Various companies offered front end loaders for them and they were approved by IH. Johnson and Danco were probably the most popular.
Any crawler versions are home built. There was a Cub Cadet 100 crawler built by a very talented machinist in WI and it looks good enough to be factory. That is probably what you saw a photo of. The same fellow also built a front wheel assist 100 and a High-Crop version. Another fellow built an offset version (like a Farmall Cub) and an Orchard version. A lot of collectors, (myself included) get bored with OEM restorations and build various custom versions.
As for production numbers, The MTD serial numbers started at around 700,000 so IH built over 600,000 Cub Cadet garden tractors. That figure doesn't include lawn tractors and riding mowers as they had their own serial number sequences. MTD then continued to build a couple hundred thousand based on the IH design. In the mid-90s MTD changed their serial number system so it isn't easy to keep track from there on.
Todd MarkleSpring Mills, Pa.