[AT] water going tractors

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 26 21:54:15 PDT 2019

That floating tractor is going to be at the mercy of any current that is faster than the speed generated by the tire treads spinning. What is accomplished?  I once  saw an Amphicar try to drive across a road flooded by a fast river current. In very little time the Amphicar was facing upstream perpendicular to the flooded road. The current was faster than the car and it would have gone down the river if it hadn't had the back bumper stopped by a brick building.

I saw a U-Haul trailer pulled by a pickup today hauling a brand new pair of rubber crawler treads, likely for a Challenger. The first Challengers are about 32 years old. In some quarters that is antique.

[Brian VanDragt] Here is a flotation demonstration by a tire manufacturer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb8oEKmS-1E

I can remember seeing photos of steel paddle wheel outfitted tractors working in rice paddies in Italy. I saw 2 wheel tractors with steel paddle wheels working in rice paddies in Asia. Those paddies seemed to have firm bottoms. Rice is grown in South Carolina and Sinaloa.. I wonder if they drive tractors in the paddies in those two places.

[James] You would need a snorkel on the air intake to drive a tractor under the water. Military vehicles used to have snorkels so they could drive through water.

 Have any tractors ever been made that were intended to drive in the water. I seem to remember some surf rescue tractors somewhere.

 [Dean VP] And there is more water if the 430V is in it.  😊
.