[AT] OT don't take any Buffalo Nickels and weather.

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Jun 23 06:38:12 PDT 2019

Farmer
Interesting discussion on the terminology of things..   Here in
Oklahoma, there are so many things that you have to know the slang term
for in order to just survive..  Buffalo are Buffalo here, not Bison..  I
did not know why they were called Buffalo.  Thanks for that lesson.  I
learn so many things from talking with the old-timers and I found out at
a continuing education session Friday that I was considered to be one of
those...

We had over 30 inches of rain in 31 days in Central OK.  Record rainfall
since 1895.  The flat  areas of the pasture now have water grass growing
in them.  I tried to drain a spot yesterday while I had the dozer
running and nearly got stuck.  There is a winch on that D6D but I have
not tried it out.  I would have to use the 944 Cat to anchor it and it
was on the battery charger. The 944 has a 24volt generator that I guess
is not charging..  It takes an hour to remove all the panels to get at
it.  The E110B trackhoe is still in need of another 10 gallons of
hydraulic oil after I replaced a boom cylinder ($1350), I have not tried
it out yet.    The rain has delayed everything here.  From getting
cattle worked to harvest to hay cutting.  Thursday & Friday were the 2
dry days I had available, and I had to spend it setting in a mandatory
$400 continuing  education session for my Engineering license.   If this
continual rain does not stop soon, we are going to be in a world of
hurt.  I saw some wheat fields cut yesterday that had large tracts left
uncut due to weeds.  They were too wet to cut for hay.  Marestail was
sticking up a foot above the wheat heads.  Many fields are so wet that
4wd combines were making tracks over a foot deep.  I saw one custom
harvester with rice combines on tracks and his grain carts were on
tracks.   They were heading north.   There may be a hay cutting if it
ever stops raining long enough to dry out,  but the quality will be crap
because we don't dare fertilize when the rain following the fertilizer
application is so heavy the fertilizer is in the creek.  We get 2-3
inches in less than an hour.  I get reports from a private weather
station a mile away and many times it has shown over 4 inches an hour
rainfall rate.  A few years ago, urbanized drainage used 4 inches per
hour as the 100 yr design flood.  The grass has grown so fast that there
is no food value in it.  I had to start feeding again because my mother
cows did not have milk with enough food value in it.  Too much water.
The calves were getting scours from watery milk.  I started feeding
every day with 15% protein cubes and after a week, the scours dried up.
The cows are also maintaining condition.  Before feeding they were
losing condition.  Like my Dad, I take pride in having cows that are
healthy and fat and stay that way.  This has been the worst year for
livestock.  We have had storm after storm with baseball size hail.  The
high winds from downbursts in north central OK has left entire sections
with wheat lodged down.
The estimates for the wheat harvest are too optimistic.  I have already
reserved wheat seed for sowing this fall.

I think it was you farmer that once said the old saying was "A dry year
will scare you, a wet year will kill you!"  That saying has never been
more true.
The prospects for this year don't look good, but I am sure we will still
be here next year..

Cecil in the central OK swamp.