[AT] List quiet!! Everyone OK, or just waterlogged???

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 04:53:26 PDT 2019

The part of the farm that we don't have in horses is in 3 fields all about
the same size totalling a little over 60 acres that I cash rent to a nearby
farmer. He rents about 6 farms, most are farther from his home farm than I
am. I've never asked him how many acres he farms but based on the farms I
know of I would guess around 1,000.
He has been on the edge of freaking out this spring since it has stayed so
wet with rain almost daily. Earlier this past week he was able to get in
here and plant 2 fields of corn and yesterday he planted the last field in
soybeans. Both fields of corn he planted no-till. For the soybeans he
brought his no-till drill, made about 1 round and wasn't satisfied with it
(ground was pretty wet) and went home and got a large aeration tool he uses
a lot of years. He did this field then one on another farm west of here
then came back here and hit this one again. It was sunny and breezy and the
stirring dried it out fairly well. He then came back with the no-till drill
and planted it. It will be interesting to see how the little strip he first
planted compares to the rest of the field as the season progresses.
I know that getting in on the ground this wet is driving him bonkers but
some years you just have to do what you have to do...
He has been farming this ground since about 2004 I guess when I had to give
up the grain farming to deal with my mother's Alzheimer's on a nearly full
time basis. I couldn't work in the fields and keep her from wandering and I
certainly had to quit farming rented ground away from home.
I've been quite satisfied over the years with my choice to rent to this
particular farmer. My choice really upset a closer neighbor who I guess
thought he had the inside track just because we share a common fence line
and had expressed an interest in renting it. How could I rent to someone
who rather constantly belittled my antique tractor hobby?  :-)

.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA