[AT] Mower Engine

Dennis Johnson moscowengnr at outlook.com
Tue Jun 18 19:38:24 PDT 2019

I have an older Hustler Super Z 72” mower that has a Kawasaki FX850V engine. ( twin cylinder 850 cc engine) The governor was giving me problems, and I found that the bolt that held the 2 governor arms in relative position had stripped threads. Issue is it is 7 mm fine LEFT HAND thread. I was able to add some washers to move bolt out some so new place on old bolt had workable threads to hold the arms in relative position.

Problem is that when the engine is started the governor seems to work fine until engine warms up. After it warms up the governor does nothing to move the throttle linkage away from the idle position when there is any load on the engine. (I walked beside it with someone else driving it and throttle arm did not move.) It runs with the throttle sitting at the low idle position and runs slow until the load is removed, and then the engine speeds up until a load is put on it again.

Other than disassembling the lower block to look at the governor, doe anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks
Dennis

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad