[AT] Quiet list

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 15:55:24 PST 2019

I'm also interested in the 8 footers. I have been going through replacing
fluorescent bulbs with LED's in my shop. Mine are 4' tubes and I got mine
from 1000bulbs.com and ended up taking the ballasts completely out
(removing another power vampire). I used these:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/200106/LEDT-10024CS.html

The light is nice and not as harsh as the 5000K lamps and works well with
my eyes. I will be ordering more for that project. Used up the first box of
16 bulbs (they're $6 apiece) in an hour or so and the light is
significantly better and the fixtures (which are in an insulated ceiling)
run a lot cooler without the ballasts (which are regularly overheating).

These need power fed from one end, per the directions. I clipped off the
ballasts, pulled the shorting jumper out of the tombstones that hold the
bulbs, fed the 110 line and neutral into each bulb and flicked them on.
They apparently will work on higher voltages as well but this is what my
shop is wired to. The installation wasn't that old but the lights are a lot
better, IMHO. The old bulbs were 34 watts each and the new ones are 12
watts or so, plus at least 10-20 watts per ballast (they say it's less but
I would disagree based on the temperature rise on the housings...).

Soo... after my luck with the 4 footers I'll probably be trying the same
folks for 8 foot units.

Ken in AZ