[AT] When did tractor pulls become prevalent?

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Jan 21 07:11:36 PST 2019

On 1/21/2019 6:51 AM, Stephen Offiler wrote:
> I grew up in a rural-ish corner of Rhode Island, born 1962.  There was
> one big fair annually, the Rocky Hill State Fair.  I remember going as
> a kid, maybe as early as about 8, so starting 1970 or thereabouts,
> thru into my teens. There were horse pulls, oxen pulls, and truck
> pulls, but no tractor pulls.  The truck pulls were the big attraction.

The 1992 vintage tractor pulls were my second time watching local pulls.
As impressive as the tractors were, the trucks that followed might have
been even more so.

The relatively late model (at the time) trucks put on quite a show. Only
a couple of casualties. A jeep seemed to have lost it's transmission on
the second attempt. Plus an older two

wheel drive Dodge dropped it's drive shaft right at the starting line.
The biggest surprise was the old orange Chevy ex Sask. Power service
truck that I think did as good or better than most of the

others. I transferred some of it to video on youtube.

https://youtu.be/oC9pcY6aWrE

Ralph in Sask.

---
https://www.avg.com