[AT] R134a

Mark Johnson markjohnson100 at centurylink.net
Mon Jan 14 06:46:37 PST 2019

One must hope that the standards for allowable leakage from an A/C
system are as tight as for fuel systems...as I recall, the old R-12
systems usually had 2-3 lbs of refrigerant. A couple pounds of propane
would make a pretty good fuel-air bomb, worst case...or an underhood
blowtorch with a broken line spraying. Neither are my idea of a good
time - and, unlike gasoline, diesel, or alcohol, a Freon-compatible
refrigerant is self-propelling. Of course, the same is true of a gaseous
fuel, whether natural gas, hydrogen, or propane.

Not sure about disposing of gasoline...if you live in an area that has a
'household hazardous waste' collection point, they might take it a
gallon or so at a time. I wouldn't bet that they'd want 10+ gallons in
one whack, though. 5 year old gasoline might be ok to burn in a tractor
or truck, especially if diluted. Is that a 'gas tank full' like a 100
gallon farm gas barrel, or a full tank of gas in the old Case?

I've never had any trouble disposing of anything at a household waste
collection - old solvents, aged paint, dead fluorescent lights,
including those I *knew* contained mercury; they've always taken
everything. I think they do draw the line at low-level radioactive
waste, but the only bits of that I've ever had have been in microcurie
amounts in old smoke detectors.

Mark J