[AT] R134a

Mark Johnson markjohnson100 at centurylink.net
Sun Jan 13 05:49:15 PST 2019

There is one problem with Red Tek 12A - which you already touched
on...flammability. The propane+n-isobutane mix has been known for a good
many years - it has all the same useful properties as R-12 - almost
identical eutectic curve, carries oil through the system, and so on. My
dad (a 1950 engineering graduate) apparently took a 'practical
thermodynamics' course where they spent a lot of time studying
properties of gases that would be useful as refrigerants. Even as early
as the late 1940's, hydrocarbon gases like propane were known to be
useful - but the available gasket and seal technology meant that they
were too hazardous to use in commercial environments. [As an engineer,
Pop was responsible for maintaining the chiller systems for milk and ice
cream production at a dairy plant, from about 1952 to 1963.] Propane
might have been better than ammonia, even then - but small ammonia leaks
are easily detectable, and the stuff doesn't explode!

I can remember when those 14 oz cans of R-12 were 59 cents at
K-Mart...the stuff was cheaper than bottled water. Anybody who could
read a gauge set and turn a wrench could recharge their own A/C - which
no doubt contributed to the 'escape' problem,  as it was cheaper to
recharge the system once a month than to go get it fixed.

Mark J
In snow-covered Columbia, MO - 16 inches of heavy, wet stuff that I have
to shovel today. No telling when the city will actually plow our side
street - 3 blocks of deep snow to get to a main route designated as
'snow route' - and our cars will just high-center if we try to get out!