[AT] R134a

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 11:29:00 PST 2019

I was working for a manufacturer of automotive air-conditioning pressure
sensors (and other types of automotive sensors) back in the 1990s.  We had
to do a lot of development work on the existing R12 designs, in order to be
compatible with the R134a refrigerant as well as the PAG lubricant.  I know
there was a phase-in period (and Wikipedia tells me it was 1992-1994) after
which all new systems had to be R134a.  The manufacture of R12 was banned
in 1996.  Existing inventory of R12 was to be packaged in service kits for
the old systems, and you had to have some sort of license to buy the
stuff.  I am referring here to automotive, but, I just don't see there's
any way it could have been a different story for ag and heavy duty.  A
modern article on the internet discussing tractor cabs makes reference to
R134a.

SO