[AT] Wheel lug bolts

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 04:39:28 PST 2019

I do well to remember my name let alone all of the thread sizes of all of
the lug bolts.  :-)
I have gotten better at carrying a black Sharpie in my pocket and writing
the wrench sizes of many common items on things. Stuff like wrench size of
wheel lugs, mower blade bolts, oil drain plugs etc.
It's not even a factor on the N Fords or anything Ferguson. Harry Ferguson
intended for you to be able to do half of the service on tractor and
implements with the factory plow wrench which was 11/16" on one end and
1-1/16" on the other end. I didn't use the plow wrench a lot as where
possible I prefer to use a box-end or a socket  but I always appreciated
the concept.
I have also been a big fan of decent tool boxes on tractors and implements.
Something that factories have often failed badly at doing until more recent
years. And what fool at most factories thinks that it is a good idea to
provide a wasp entry hole into what is otherwise a decent tool box?  :-)

.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 9:05 PM John Hall <jtchall at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Yeah, Super A does.
>
> https://www.messicks.com/cas/54057
>
> John Hall
>

> On 1/10/2019 8:53 PM, Spencer Yost wrote:
> > I always clean up lug bolts/nuts/studs when I replace a wheel and
> conditions warrant. Since the 430 wheel and tire should be back tomorrow, I
> started to do that tonight and brought out my trusty 5/8 tap and die that I
> use for this.
> >
> > The 430V apparently uses the 9/16-18 size. I thought that only became
> common in cars a little later. I guess I’m wrong. Are there any other
> antique tractors of the 430’s size that used that lug bolt?  My Pacer, JD
> hay wagon, Ford, and lots more that have come and gone all used 5/8 bolts.
> I’m sort of surprised.  In fact, I remember one tractor(can’t remember
> which one now) that used a 7/8 bolt and I had to run to a friend to borrow
> a tap and die.
> >
> > My 9/16 tap and die is in Raleigh in my sons toolbox. He needed it for a
> boat trailer that had been in launching boats in salt water.   His
> inheritance is trickling in one tool at a time.  (-;   So I guess I’ll be
> buying a 9/16 set tomorrow.
> >
> > Spencer Yost

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"