[AT] Old tractor antifreeze

bloomis at charter.net bloomis at charter.net
Thu Jan 10 17:40:20 PST 2019

We get 55 gallon drums of propylene as it is ‘food’ grade. Those tanks in the winery that aren’t jacketed ammonia are jacketed glycol. Food grade means ‘incidental’ contact. So when something breaks, and it does, the wine, glycol can all go to the wastewater pond, it’s all garbage anyway, just not a toxic cleanup. I’m thinking last time I purchased, a couple years ago it was like $10 a gallon, wholesale. We’d get 500-1000 gallons depending on how big the break was. 6” PVC for hundreds of feet is a lot of glycol when a fitting breaks and your 25hp pump keeps on chugging away. PVC manufacturers specifically state to not use with glycol at any proportion/temperature. Newer installs are stainless mains, copper branch. Dumped a lot of juice over the years from failed fittings. 6” PVC is a lot cheaper than SS, plus expensive outdoor insulations. But remember it isn’t run at 100% I’m thinking 8-10% dilution. Use a refractometer to test to 20° or whatever the target is. Dow has charts. Comes clear, we add pink dye to find leaks.

Bradford