[AT] Some background to your tire/ rim issue.

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 07:05:29 PST 2019

Sorry to hear about the deer strike, Spencer.  I've got two myself.  I'm on
the CT/RI border, and according to published statistics, these states are
quite low on the list.  CT is #37 with a likelihood of collision at 1 in
263; RI is #45 with a likelihood at 1 in 538.  What's really going on is
that there are pockets with very high deer density, but for statewide
statistics, those pockets get washed out by larger pockets of low deer
density (more urban).  Most of my life is spent in the high-density
pockets.  I'm always on the lookout and I see deer typically 2-3 times per
week.

https://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/odds-of-hitting-deer.aspx

My first deer strike was about 3 years ago, on my motorcycle.  This one
happened mid-day.  The deer came at me diagonally from the left, beyond my
peripheral vision, and in leaping across the road, struck the engine in
midair, right in front of my leg.  I was nudged off the road onto the
shoulder but I kept the bike upright and rode it out.  Zero damage save for
picking a few deer hairs out of nooks and crannies.   It was a fairly small
animal, perhaps 100lb.  Would have been ugly if it hit the front wheel, a
guaranteed crash; and would have been painful if it hit my leg.

Second deer strike, a year ago, in the car.  After dark, around
dinnertime.  Similar approach, from the left, out of my peripheral vision.
I was moving at about 55mph, the posted limit.  Forced to run low beams
because there was a car not far in front of me.  This hit was almost
dead-center on the front end.   This was a larger animal.  Took out the
hood, grille, bumper, radiator, AC condenser, one headlight (I think they
replaced both), and required minor body work on both front fenders.
Something like $8K-10K in damage (I saw only the initial estimate).  Not
sure why but that one rattled me worse than the strike on the motorcycle.
I felt anxious for about 2-3 days afterward.

SO