[AT] Some background to your tire/ rim issue.

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 06:22:55 PST 2019

I have often heard stories over the years from folks with a tractor that
has one tire on backward about how they took a wheel in to have a tire
changed and the guy at the shop ignored which way the old tire was mounted.
They didn't know it was wrong until they got it home...
I was taught to always make a mark on the sidewall at the valve stem even
if I was just making a patch. Then you have a record of exactly how the
tire was mounted to be sure.
In the case of a puncture repair it helps to know the position of the tire
since sometimes the puncture in the tire body may not be obvious. Once you
find the leak in the tube with air it becomes obvious where it is in the
tire. It's not a major deal but it can at times save time and having to
think.  :-)
Just a good habit.

.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 11:27 PM Spencer Yost <spencer at rdfarms.com> wrote:

> Thanks Joe!
>
> I did get the wheel off the hub tonight. It did require the use of my
> Harbor Freight “porta -a-power”(small hydraulic ram).  That wheel was
> rusted pretty tight against the hub.  I did not have much trouble with the
> lug nuts. But I had been soaking them with penetrant. They came out pretty
> well.  Now if I could only find the right size taps and dies to chase out
> and clean the bolts and hub I’d be good. :-). I won’t know where any of
> this stuff goes.  I could have sworn I knew right where they were....
>
> A deer decided to jump out in front of us Sunday night, so my wife’s
> vehicle is in the body shop. Which means she is using my truck (yes I
> somehow overlooked/forgot the rental car rider for the insurance policy).
> Hopefully I can get to the  tire shop on Thursday at lunch when she doesn’t
> need to use the truck to get the tire switched between the wheel that is
> bad, and the new wheel.  Should be done by next week.
>
> Spencer Yost
>
> On Jan 8, 2019, at 10:00 PM, "joehardy at epix.net" <joehardy at epix.net>
> wrote:
>
> Spencer, for some long period of time the 430V always parked outside with
> little covering of any kind. When I first visited the farm, I immediately
> went to Harbor Freight and bought a large silver tarp and totally covered
> it. That rim and tire on that tractor that were deteriorated faced to the
> North under some shade trees. The tire was flat. I took over my generator
> and air compressor and pumped up the tire. That is probably why the
> tires/rim on other side faced South  and was in the sun. You made both June
> and I very happy to read  all the TLC you've done to that special tractor.
> You truly have something to be proud of for a long time! Joe Hardisky Ryman
> Farm, Dallas, PA

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA