[AT] OT shifting blame

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Feb 26 10:39:19 PST 2019

That town is no different that every other factory town that lost the
main workplace when the manufacturer went offshore, or just went belly
up.   Massey went bankrupt due to some bad management decisions and
changes in Farming.  Allis Chalmers died due to the Germans buying them
out and changing the engine design.  White motor Co. bought Oliver and
Minneapolis Moline and just drained the companies of everything.  Then
AGCO bought them and only kept the planter.  The later 2-105 White
tractors were a later version of the 1850 Series Oliver.  One of the
Best tractors made IMO.  I remember when the first Russian wheat deal
was signed and wheat went to $6 a bushel.   One Week later John Deere
raised prices 20% across the board....  I can't testify to
International.   IH had some problems in the 80's.  I remember buying
some IH stock for $6 a share in the 80's.   This was when Tenneco was
working on buying International Harvester Ag.  Tenneco was first a gas
transmission company...    I blame many problems in manufacturing on the
big companies in the 70's thru the 90's playing the merger acquisition
game.  When a company is publicly traded and their assets are worth more
than their stock, they are in a bad position for some greedy entity to
buy their stock and dismantle the company for a fast buck.  Airstream
trailers was bought by Beatrice foods,  then sold to Thor corporation,
the manufacturers of air tools.  Many of these acquisitions just did not
make sense and then the companies flounder for several years before
going out of business or going offshore....

Then when you have too many people with no work and the government pays
so well for not working, then you have the drug problem...    I guess
the old saying Idle hands are the Devils workforce is so true....

Just rambling....     Freezing drizzle for the next 36 hours here,

Cecil