[AT] IH Fast Hitch was Of the 10 worst tractors

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Feb 17 19:34:50 PST 2019

Fast hitch was a good selling point for the one row machines, it was
used by some farmers, but a lot of homeowners and gardeners used those
implements and being able to change it quickly and easily was a selling
point back then. I guess I should point out that even back then there
were LOTS of people in this area that worked public work and tended huge
gardens and could afford a brand new tractor to do so. Most of the
successful tobacco farmers only used the one row machines for planting
and cultivating and towing "trailers" (the terminology for those was
very broad). The larger machines with 2 point hitch were just not all
that popular here. Dad didn't care for actual hitch, there was nothing
wrong with the hydraulics. Once those tractors became a few years old,
they were headed to being boat anchors as the rest of the industry was
going 3pt and you could buy those implements everywhere and any color.
We still see some some locally fabricated 1 pt equipment being produced
or retrofitted even today. Don't get me wrong, I love IH, but that hitch
design was one of their biggest screwups and let Deere get a toe hold in
the Southeast. My family went green for big HP beginning with a new
3010, this was the first Deere we ever had. It paved the way for 3 more
new Deere's before the farming ceased in 91. Only one new IH was added
during that time. With the tractors turning green, so did the implements
and 4 new combines. The only thing they backed up on was Deere's
pathetic excuse for a auto reset plow--it used hydraulics instead of
trip springs like IH.  Guess we were just brand loyal.

John Hall