[AT] old tractor inventions

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Sat Feb 16 21:23:25 PST 2019

A couple of uncles on my mothers side were great tinkers although that
didn't apply to their farming as they were always at least a month
behind on everything, but that's another story. Someone on another topic
mentioned an F-20. Well, I was quite young, but I remember an F-20 that
they had. The first thing they did was take the front axle from a truck
and make it into a wide front for the F-20. Next they made a cable lift
loader for it. They used a very short PTO from the tractor to a small
car transmission. Connected to the transmission was the rear axle and
rear end from a small truck. They left the rims on the axle and used the
rims to wrap the cable around. The rear axle they used was one of the
very old ones that had mechanical brakes to which they attached a brake
lever. To use the loader they got the bucket full and put the
transmission in gear to raise the load (mind you this was 60 years ago)
and when it was raised enough they would pull the brake lever and put
the transmission in neutral and drive to where they were going and dump
the load. The loader would lower by gravity once they released the
brake. Sadly, my mothers side of the family was known for being careless
and 2 or 3 years after building the loader, one of them had drained the
oil and water for some reason and left it sit for a day or two and
another uncle started it and headed for another farm without oil or
water and that was the end of the F-20.
           Greg Hass