[AT] OT - oil stop leak

Dennis Johnson moscowengnr at outlook.com
Sat Feb 16 19:06:17 PST 2019

Pulling the engine and transmission is not an unsurmountable task. I once had 2 Plymouth Voyagers in my shop both with transmissions out. Fortunately both were for someone needy and not mine.
There are 2 difficult tasks involved in pulling the engine.One is removing the axles from the hub assembly. Nothing real complicated, but sometimes these axle nuts take a 6 foot cheater pipe to break loose after toy restrain the axle from turning. Then you may need a puller or slide hammer to get axle loose time the splines in the hub. You may also need to pull a ball joint to get hub assembly pulled away and let the axle clear it.
The second difficult thing is to figure out how to take apart the various electrical wiring connections. Many times these have one end short where you are not able to move it very much where you can see good to figure out the lock mechanism.
The things are just a little bit of work, like pulling alternators, removing A/C compressor, removing linkages, raising body and lowering engine, etc. and similar things.
Once things are out splitting the engine and transmission is simple, take out flywheel bolts and the remove housing bolts. When doing this support the engine to keep it from falling (engine hoist works well). With newer engines the rear main seal is a one piece external seal that just unbolts and comes off. The oil pan does not even need to be removed for this. If it is another older 2 piece type of seal, you may need to remove the oil pan and the rear main bearing cap to change the seal halves. Just be sure to properly torque these back.
If you have the engine out, it would be a great time to install some new bearings and give the engine some more life.

Dennis

 from my iPad