[AT] OT - oil stop leak

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 16 08:21:26 PST 2019

That is likely a 300,000 mile car.  The probabilities are in your favor.

[Mike M] Thanks Phil,  Normally I'd agree with fixing it right, but I can't convince myself that sinking $1600 into a $5000 car is worth it. I have a feeling that this car is going to start nickel and diming me from here on out. It's been a great car, the only thing I've had to do to is are brakes and battery. Not bad for 165,000 mi.

[Phil Auten] Mike, Unfortunately, the rear main seal will have to be replaced. I  have no faith in the stop leak products at all. There is one possible  way to do it and that is to drop the pan and remove the rear main cap. IF and only IF the rear main seal is two piece, you may be able to  slide the upper half out and slide the new half back in and then  install the new lower half into the main cap and reattach, torqueing  to spec. This is all dependent on the seal being two piece and the pan  can be removed with the engine still in the car. I know very little  about Toyotas and only a little about the FWD models. Good luck!