[AT] [External] OT - oil stop leak

Spencer Yost spencer at rdfarms.com
Fri Feb 15 08:11:27 PST 2019

This actually brings me to a tractor question:

My Pacer now leaks oil  from both the front and rear seals. These are the old school tar rope  type seals. I was really careful 20+ years when I was installing them:  fraying  the ends a bit so the ends seal, using a wooden dowel to shape them just right, etc. I’ve always hated these things as they  are nowhere near as reliable as modern seals.

Are there any more modern, more reliable, substitutes for that old tar rope?  I doubt I will ever get around to splitting the Pacer and taking care of this, but I was wondering what the state of the art is these days when it comes to these old tar rope seals.

Spencer Yost