[AT] Old tractor question

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Wed Feb 13 21:08:32 PST 2019

The tendency of narrow fronts to ball up with mud or (worse yet) sink
hopelessly into the mud when you suddenly hit a soft spot is certainly a
downside, and I can appreciate the other wide-front advantages folks have
mentioned.

On the stability issue, as a veteran of various past ATIS threads on the
same subject, I'll offer my bottom-line position that there's an inherent
risk in believing "Oh, okay, I'm on a wide front tractor, and they're more
stable than narrow fronts, so I can safely do stuff I wouldn't try if this
were a narrow-front version of the same make and model."   I can't help but
think the stability advantage of wide vs. narrow front is like saying the
drive from Atlanta to Cleveland is shorter than the drive from Atlanta to
Kansas City.   It's no doubt shorter, but not so much that it would feel all
that different.

As to why they're more popular in some areas than others, I wonder if one of
the big factors is just regional preferences for "what tractors are supposed
to look like" ?

Dean Vinson
Saint Paris, Ohio