[AT] Of the 10 worst tractors, two were made by Fiat. 4 were from brands eventually acquired by Fiat.

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 13 08:19:54 PST 2019

Legacy Quarterly had article in which the engine selection for a Detroit designed model, perhaps the MF 1805, was discussed. The Caterpillar engine was selected. Perkins did present an engine option. Maybe Detroit Diesel and Cummins as well. The evaluation rationale did not include engine longevity, that I can remember. Maybe I can dig up the issue. People who worked in the MF Detroit Engineering groups are going to be few and far between to get first hand information from by now.

The US tractor industry has generally avoided lemons.  Maybe the article should have included the Kubota\Daedong model with unavailable head gaskets and a tendency to blow them.

For the record, I own a little Caterpillar and Agco stock.

(james] <snip> Massey Ferguson had a dud. They used a Cat engine. Should have stayed with Perkins. <snip>

http://www.brushcountryfarm.com/2018/05/10worst-tractors-of-all-time-i-enjoyed.html
.