[AT] 620 day

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 07:46:27 PST 2019

Hi Ralph:

That's a great answer in places where the snow arrives and then reliably
hangs around until Spring.  The climate in my region (RI/CT border) is
highly variable due to proximity of the ocean as well as the way the jet
stream tends to bend in our general area.  In my 56 years there's never
been a winter with continuous ground cover.  I've seen a winter where 4"
total fell the entire season, and that was only two winters separated from
the all-time record which was around 120".  One pattern that's fairly
common is a heavy dense snowfall at just below 32F, with some changeover
back and forth to rain, leaving several inches of maximum-density wet
mess.  Our temperatures seem to cycle... warm up and snow/rain, followed by
a dry cold spell.  If you drive thru that heavy wet mess, you leave deep
ruts, and there's a strong chance it's going to freeze later.  It's less
about the slipperiness of the ice, and more about the irregularity of those
ruts that makes them hard to drive thru/over/around, and then if more snow
falls, plowing is just a disaster as the blade catches on the
irregularities of the ruts.

I modified a 7' Woods 3-pt back blade, adding home-made skid shoes and
removing the steel cutting edge and replacing it with a heavy piece of
rubber, 1" thick, 6" wide, 7' long.  (McMaster Carr if anyone is curious).
It's sort of like a giant windshield wiper blade.  I keep the shoes set up
about an inch or so, which is my attempt to leave the gravel in place.  It
sort-of works.

SO