[AT] antifreeze toxicity

bloomis at charter.net bloomis at charter.net
Sun Feb 17 12:56:40 PST 2019

I’ve heard of Sierra, did not know it was propylene. Since it is made for automotive use then it probably has the corrosion inhibitors that Ethelene has. I would research the effects of propylene on an automotive coolant system before jumping in. We use propylene by the 55 gallon barrel at work diluted for chilling wine tanks via ammonia heat exchangers, for those tanks that aren’t directly ammonia chilled. Has to be dyed, we use red which makes it pink, so you know if there is a leak. Otherwise it looks like water. And in a winery where water is always in use you’d never know. Unless that 10” PVC line splits open, again. Why moving to stainless on all the mains. Speers strictly recommends NOT using PVC for glycol lines, tho its pretty standard in older installations.

Bradford

From: AT <at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com> On Behalf Of Brice Adams

I've used propylene glycol, Sierra, in all my old tractors for 20+ years without trouble.

I think it's about 2X ethylene glycol in price.