[AT] repairing machined arts

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Fri Dec 6 20:11:20 PST 2019

I don’t claim to be an expert or anything, and I’ve only become somewhat knowledgeable about 3D metal printing, but from what I understand, parts can be made at a lower cost than machining/casting, the part is stronger due to lower porosity, and special parts can be made that are not possible by other methods due to intricate designs and cost. You can also print dozens of parts at the same time. I think this warrants some on-line searching this weekend if I can find the time.

I would guess that since 3D metal printing is something relatively new, there may be some limitations on the size of the parts. Also,I don’t think you would use it to make something like a flat bar with a hole in it, but I would think that as the technology develops over the years, a lot of improvements and capabilities will be developed, as what happens with most new technologies.

Carl