[AT] repairing machined arts

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 12:16:47 PST 2019

Some progress has been made toward taking digital photographs of the
original part and creating a 3D model from them (photogrammetry). I have
the software (as part of a 3D printer package) but have not tried it yet so
I cannot vouch for the accuracy. I'm still new to 3D printing but we've
already put several parts into production systems... it's got its place.
The photogrammetry process might be a decent place to start if you want to
make a casting but I'd question accuracy for finished parts. The laser scan
technique would be better in my opinion.

Something along similar lines for making parts is 3D metal printing. The
Rutherford rocket engines are made using this technology. It uses an
electron beam rather than a laser for melting the metal and requires a
vacuum chamber for manufacturing but obviously works with high pressures
and temperatures.

Photogrammetry software:
https://all3dp.com/1/best-photogrammetry-software/

Rutherford rocket engine:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutherford_(rocket_engine)

I see these as interesting ways of creating parts. As with anything, it's
going to take some work to perfect. I doubt it would be affordable for
tractor parts for awhile.

Ken in AZ