[AT] Tractor Hauling pickup

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 10:14:57 PST 2019

My "traction control" has been also known as "poor man's posi" where I
apply the parking brakes when I have one wheel spinning and the other
gripping.
It's pulled me out of a number of bad spots where I would have needed a
winch and something to pull against.
I'm hoping to get something a little better than that without spending a
lot of money to replace the truck or axles.

If the going gets so bad I need lockers, I might want to find a different
path. I still use the "stock" (factory "heavy duty") suspension and leave
the receiver hitch in as a "feeler gage"... if it starts hitting rocks, I
know to back off (I lost an exhaust system before I figured this one out).
Likewise with 4 wheel drive... if I need it, I want to use it to back out
of whatever I did in 2 wheel drive to get in there. Many of the roads I use
during hunting season are forest or fire roads and tearing them up is NOT
"treading lightly".
As it is, this truck will not live forever; I recently had to repair the
frame where the transfer case supports broke through the frame (found this
after I got the fuel injection on it...). It's been used hard (and pulling
that big Case 400 diesel from Yuma was a bit over its rated GVW).

Thanks for the help!

Ken in AZ