[AT] OT NG and diesel now layoffs

Dennis Johnson moscowengnr at outlook.com
Tue Dec 3 21:58:13 PST 2019

I have seen similar things at Schlumberger. I remember one time vividly, because I was a supervisor that had to tell several employees they were no longer needed. This was in the well service engineering, manufacturing, and laboratory in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The combined groups had just over a 1000 employees in Tulsa. After this was done we ended up under 200 employees in Tulsa. (Tractor reference - I bid on a Farmal Cub with mower in an employee auction, and came in second place. Shop supervisor got it for $17 more than I bid.)
In 1993/1994 we had another issue where management decided to outsource most assembly/manufacturing, and move out of Tulsa.
There were a few more downsizing times. With the well service manufacturing now outsourced, the layoffs were not first hand, but someone else dealt with it. Still several jobs were lost.

For the mathematicians out there, if you take the supply of oil and gas a a primary function, the oilfield equipment manufacturing is a 3rd or 4th derivative of this primary function. That is why the changes are so abrupt.
I guess that engine suppliers are in a similar position if you look at trucking mileage as a primary function.

Dennis

Sent from my iPad