[AT] Landini 3 point hitch

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 2 05:32:36 PST 2019

Apparently deep plowing is defined as being deeper than 50CM.  One photo on the wiki site is of a tracked plow. It is done to restore soil fertility but I know of a case of a thin topsoil field that was degraded by lowing u clay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_plowing

Steve Offiler AT List member Mechanical Engineer (soffiler at gmail.com); Minding your significant digits, that's actually 61cm  ;-)

Phil Kelley AT List Member (philkelley at windstream.net); 24" = 60.96 cm. 😀

James AT List Member (jamesgpeck at hotmail.com):  Some of those Italian plows seem to be 24 inch depth. I wonder what the metric depth is.

The Mussolini administration put money into developing fuel injection to get away from those hot bulb tractors. S.P.I.C.A. also made mechanical fuel injection for sports cars. We know that Massey Ferguson bought Perkins and Landini in the late fifties and started using Perkins in them. Was Landini still making hot bulb engines up to that point?  But, the you tube shows 3 point hitches and hydraulic pumps driven from the front of hot bulb engines. Did Landini copy the Ferguson System with approval?  Some of the tractors are rearing back like there is no automatic draft control.

https://www.landini.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Flipbook-Serie-2_ING_2017.pdf

Francis Robinson aka "farmer" Central Indiana USA AT List Member (robinson46176 at gmail.com); <snip> Back to the plowing: OMG what a mess to work down enough to plant... Do their fields really look that bad on real farms
As I watch U-tube videos of plowing in the UK I keep wondering, don't their fields ever dry down to where they plow well? They do a nice job there and many take it very serious but their fields all seem to plow up like a field I would wait another 3 days on...
I got a real shock one day when I just searched for "how to plow a field" just out of curiosity as to what would come up. Once again "OMG"! I never saw so many supposed tutorials where the creator absolutely didn't have even a vague idea about what they were doing... One guy was even driving with the wrong wheel in the furrow... Throwing everything all toward the unplowed land each pass. Did a whole big garden that way.
I have the little plowing book that came with the 9N Ford/Ferguson DAD bought new. It is about as good on layouts as anything I have seen. I should scan it and post it somewhere. Its biggest limitation is that it is for mounted plows. and some things are a little different.
I do have a copy of a book that was issued for members of the old 4-H Tractor Maintenance project that was good on pull type plows. Maybe I could post some of that as well.
The results of a well-adjusted plow behind a tractor that is well sat up for that plow can be very pretty, especially to some of us old guys.  😀  I didn't see a lot of good results in those how-to videos but there were several that were very good. If you don't search for "how-to" you get better videos.

James AT List Member (mailto:jamesgpeck at hotmail.com);  I can understand the wild and wonderful Landini plowing. Looks like Landini was using 3 point hitch on hot bulb tractors in the fifties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4asNIt3diyc