[AT] Big Truck Pickups

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Dec 1 19:06:37 PST 2019

On 2019-12-01 8:45 p.m., Cecil Bearden wrote:

> The old Gasoline IHC Loadstar trucks were pretty rust free up to the
> windshield.  They usually rusted out at the headlights and the cab air
> vent where it came in from the bottom of the windshield through the
> Wiper motor gutter.  The engines leaked enough oil to keep everything
> sealed off underneath...  If it was a wheat truck, you started with a
> putty knife to do work underneath.
> Cecil

My 71 Loadstar is pretty rust free except for the running boards. It
spends most of it's time in the shed and I avoid the highways and salt
in winter. Even at 120,000 miles I'm sure it will outlast my farming
days. The 304 engine does leak a little oil around the pan gasket. I've
never sprayed it with oil but I have done it to my 81 Sierra Classic
pickup. Used Hytran oil sprayed all over the under side with a cleaning
gun should help slow down the rusting anyway. It catches a fair bit of
road dust that way too.

Ralph in Sask.