[AT] Landini 3 point hitch

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 13:24:31 PST 2019

Interesting, informative and at times a little scary...  😀
Drifting off a little here:
Bits of it remind me of my backhoe days when I really hated digging when
people were present. About half the guys around were driven to prove how
brave they were by standing within 2' of where I needed to set the bucket
down. My old hoe was really fast and would dig across an open area like a
bat out of hell but it was also a little worn and sloppy and when digging
the arm would swing past the ditch then back a bit and at that point I
dropped it. Even with just basic skills it was easy to form a work pattern
that allowed making a clean accurate ditch in spite of a little slop. It is
however hard to do so when some idiot is standing at the edge of the ditch
trying to lean over the ditch and look down. There were times when I would
have to stop and actually order them back... I think there was only one
occasion when I actually shut down and walked away when warning them back
just didn't work... Then I went back later and finished after everybody
left.
In a similar vein I finally quit doing live demos with a buzz saw at a
nearby living history museum because even though I had the area roped off
guys kept crossing the rope and it seemed like several had a death wish
picking up wood from under the saw and tossing it across to the other side
(for some reason) constantly getting to within inches of the spinning
blade. I consider myself very fortunate that some idiot didn't get
seriously injured. If I were going to try that again today I would probably
rope off the area with an "electric fence".  😀
Back to the plowing:
OMG what a mess to work down enough to plant... Do their fields really look
that bad on real farms?
As I watch U-tube videos of plowing in the UK I keep wondering, don't their
fields ever dry down to where they plow well? They do a nice job there and
many take it very serious but their fields all seem to plow up like a field
I would wait another 3 days on...
I got a real shock one day when I just searched for "how to plow a field"
just out of curiosity as to what would come up. Once again "OMG"! I never
saw so many supposed tutorials where the creator absolutely didn't have
even a vague idea about what they were doing... One guy was even driving
with the wrong wheel in the furrow... Throwing everything all toward the
unplowed land each pass. Did a whole big garden that way.
I have the little plowing book that came with the 9N Ford/Ferguson DAD
bought new. It is about as good on layouts as anything I have seen. I
should scan it and post it somewhere. Its biggest limitation is that it is
for mounted plows. and some things are a little different.
I do have a copy of a book that was issued for members of the old 4-H
Tractor Maintenance project that was good on pull type plows. Maybe I could
post some of that as well.
The results of a well adjusted plow behind a tractor that is well sat up
for that plow can be very pretty, especially to some of us old guys.  😀  I
didn't see a lot of good results in those how-to videos but there were
several that were very good. If you don't search for "how-to" you get
better videos.

.

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 11:27 AM James Peck <jamesgpeck at hotmail.com> wrote:

> James AT List Member (jamesgpeck at hotmail.com<mailto:jamesgpeck at hotmail.com>);
> I can understand the wild and wonderful Landini plowing. Looks like Landini
> was using 3 point hitch on hot bulb tractors in the fifties.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4asNIt3diyc

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA