[AT] Osage and the green tractor

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Fri Dec 13 08:05:27 PST 2019

My red tractor often shows up in photos of my ongoing battle against osage
orange trees, since it's typically hooked to a utility trailer that's well
suited for hauling chainsaw, log chain, firewood, etc.  But for those who
favor the green-and-yellow ones, here's a photo from yesterday of the 1958
John Deere 620.   I'd had it out to back-blade a gravel lane, and then gave
the same treatment to the ashes remaining from a recent bonfire site.

In the photo, the bare dirt area immediately beneath and behind the tractor
resulted from a series of very large bonfires last spring which disposed of
several large osage stumps and all the branches and trunk sections except
what I kept for firewood.  The little bit of new ash in the lower right
corner was one of two smaller bonfires from just a couple weeks ago, which
served to clean up a brushpile I'd accumulated over the summer and burn a
couple smaller stumps and surfaced roots.   The overall area had originally
looked like the mass of trees to the right, just a dense mess.   I gripe
about the tediousness of clearing that stuff out, but it helps to have some
old tractors involved.

Dean Vinson

Saint Paris, Ohio