[AT] repairing machined tractor parts

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 7 06:53:55 PST 2019

The original link was to a metal removal CNC machine tool that had been reconfigured as a metal deposition CNC machine tool. It alone does not solve the problem of making worn parts like new. A 3D solid model still has to be created, possibly reverse engineering the worn part. Then a human with 3D solid modelling skills has to touch up that solid model to what he thinks the original dimensions and tolerances were. Then the CNC program has to be created. This sounds like a business for someone who can perform every one of those skills and not miss a machine payment if he doesn’t get paid by mechanics lien until the tractor runs well. That was certainly a slow opening link. Wonder where Jack came across it?

Some kinds of worn parts can be built up with weld and then machined.

Carl Szabelski AT list member and tank knowledge resource (szabelski at wildblue.net); I also believe that they can use 3D to rebuild worn parts to original specs and add improvements at the same time, like coatings.

Steve Offiler AT List member Mechanical Engineer (soffiler at gmail.com); I'd question the lower cost thing in general terms, but you said "can be"and I'd agree that definitely as the complexity goes up, you reach a point where the metal part might be extremely difficult to make with traditional methods, and yet a walk in the part for 3D printing - there, yes, I can see the cost equation tipping to 3D.

Tractor Jack Overeducated and Undertrained AT LIst Member (jacktractor at live.com); The shortcoming of this for the repair of unavailable tractor  parts is that you need a CAD file of a good part first.

https://www.imeche.org/news/news-article/feature-retrofit-transforms-legacy-machine-tools-to-keep-worn-parts-in-use?