[AT] Welding Rails

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Tue Dec 3 07:22:16 PST 2019

    Our process at Rockwell for welding spindles on to axle tubes was simply
called butt welding in our processes. The axle tube and spindle were clamped
in their own vice like device and held in stationary precise location. They
both were heated to very near melting temperature by a large high frequency
induction coil, then high pressure cylinders forced the spindle onto the
axle tube. The intensive pressure added the extra temperature to melt the
mating surfaces, completing the weld which was then quenched by a spray of
water and quenching fluid.

    A later method was friction welding. The axle beam was clamped
stationary in a holding fixture. The spindle was located in a fixture that
was on a rotating spindle and rotated at high speed with pressure exerted on
the mating surface creating a very high temperature. At near melting
temperature, a quick application from an induction coil completed the
heating process at which  point the spindle was stopped with molten metal at
junction of spindle with pressure at which time the weld was quenched
completing the process.

                                            Gene