[AT] OT two university STEM majors to avoid

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 31 08:26:23 PDT 2019

My elementary through high school instrumental music teacher was quite a remarkable man. He could pick up any band instrument and get a good sound out of it. I suspect that most of the university music graduates with jobs are working in music education. The school system I went to was a low buck operation. That teacher moonlighted as a clarinetist in a regional theatrical performance venue. From what I have seen, a person has no business studying music at the university level unless they are really good to begin with.

[Stephen Offiler[ A music major working in a music store seems like a wise career move to me.  Who does he meet all day every day?  Musicians.  Talk about networking.

[James Peck] I had an occasion to return a rented musical instrument to a music store several years ago which included an inspection of the instrument. Based on the twentyish appearance of the store manager, I asked him if he were a Music major. He said yes.  That is apparently another academic field where supply and demand are out of balance. Yet, I would bet the university from which the music major graduated counts him as having a job in the field of music.