[AT] Agricultural Equipment Diagnostic Technicians

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Mon Aug 26 06:29:36 PDT 2019

Here in Oklahoma, where the oil patch has hired most everyone who can
chew gum and walk at the same time,  finding employees who both work and
show up 3 days in a row is rare.   The oil patch foreman send out
requests for contractors.  The ones who show up with the proper PPE and
can pass a drug test are hired immediately.  As long as they complete
the job, they don't even have to bid the job, they just send an
invoice..  That is how bad the labor shortage is here.  Farming is one
of the professions where there is such a labor shortage some are
retiring just because they cannot set on a tractor all day and cannot
find anyone who will.   Back in my day a high school kid could get $2 an
hour driving a tractor 12-16 hours a day...  The Canadian county
extension here tells us that a good tractor operator draws $16 an hour.
Try to find one for that.   The oil patch contractors are paying $25 for
common laborers.

Personally I think the apprenticeship programs are the way to go.   When
I graduated high school I could figure out nearly any problem given to
me.  After college, I was so burned out, I just wanted to pull wrenches
the rest of my life.   In my opinion, the schools should bring back
Driver education, Home economics, and automotive shop classes for both
genders.   Drivers ed and home economics should be required to
graduate.  So many young people do not have the basic life skills
needed.  So many are given a driver's license and really cannot drive.
How many high school graduates are there who can really cook for
themselves, sew a button on or even patch a shirt or pair of pants?  Run
a sewing machine without having to call 911???  Change a tire without
AAA??  It is amazing to me how many young people ( and I mean those in
their 30's ) have to call someone for the simplest of tasks.

Bringing this back to old tractors.....   I have nearly 25 acres of old
tractors and trucks and no one to leave it to.  I have collected all
these neat projects, but I have not found any younger person interested
in continuing with them.  Scrapping them is just not in my genes.....
Cecil