[AT] Agricultural Equipment Diagnostic Technicians

Spencer Yost spencer at rdfarms.com
Sun Aug 25 21:11:07 PDT 2019

True words Jim.

First, I must tell everyone that I will bring this back to antique tractors a little later.   Secondly I feel compelled to tell this because geology sort of started this.   Thirdly, and coincidentally, I told this story at Portland just last week.

I went to school for geology. Short version of a long story is that halfway through my sophomore year I decided I didn’t want to be in a boom and bust industry.   But earth science was all I cared about and I had no idea what I wanted to do next.

Several weeks of career counseling, personality and aptitude tests, and visitation with the deans and assistant deans of many departments led me to computer programming(which is what I still do to this day).  I had never even considered it prior to this.  Thank God for a great career counseling center at my alma mater, Appalachian State University.  (BTW I graduated with a minor in geology and a major in computer science).

I definitely lucked out with the economics spectrum. It was not clear in the early 1980s this field would be a hot bed of career growth for the last 33 years but I went into it anyways.  So luck plays a role.

As for antique tractors?  They exercise the other interests and skills I have and I am no poorer nor more unhappy because I didn’t turn them into a career. Also, I have always been as strong in English as I was in math. The antique tractor books I wrote were my way of employing the skills that I love and enjoy but couldn’t in my career field.

In the end we make our choices but everyone has scrap and fight to build the life we want; and with no exception in any life I am acquainted with does it lead you down roads you planned for or expected.  In defense of college  I will say my education armed me with the tools and weapons needed to choose and navigate those roads.  It honed my reasoning, critical thinking, and most definitely my communication skills.  Most importantly, it taught me how to adapt and grow regardless of the circumstances.

I once was asked by someone why do so many jobs require a college degree when clearly in many cases it is not entirely necessary? At its most basic level, a degree tells employers you know how to see a long-term, expensive project all the way through to the end. That’s an important skill in today’s world and rare among 22 year old folks.

Interestingly, and against the prevailing wisdom of the times, my general college classes ultimately ended up having the most lasting value. My computer classes? They’re so out of date I laugh at the stuff they used to teach us. But my logic, history, philosophy and language classes?  The topics and discussions we debated and learned are relevant to this day.

But if I didn’t go to college I would be a welder. I am certain I would probably be just as happy; albeit with a few more burn marks :-)

Spencer Yost