[AT] A new one

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Sun Aug 11 22:44:28 PDT 2019

Some steep vineyard disking on Martinelli Vineyards Jackass Hill using a
JD 420 crawler, akin to a 40C.

"This rugged section of the ranch is referred to by the Martinelli
family as "Jackass Hill", because only a jackass would farm a hill that
steep. Jackass Hill is the steepest non-terraced hillside vineyard in
Sonoma County".

Note at 2:00 minutes in when an "oops" downhill slide wipes out several
100-year-old vines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx7mcu_P21g

http://www.martinelliwinery.com/vineyard/jackass-hill/

My guess is that today's normal cultivation on Jackass Hill now employs
different equipment than a restored 420 JD crawler pulling an old offset
disk.  But for a professionally produced video documentary, it's cool to
see the old stuff brought back in action as it was two generations ago.

Richard

> I talked with my friend again about the Antonio Carraros. They
> purchased two. $140K so whoever it was that guessed 150 wasn't that
> far off. For use in the hilliest of their vineyards near Calistoga,
> CA. Apparently barely passable if wet. The one thing she did say after
> driving one is that it's pretty cramped. Tough for a fat old guy like
> me. Guess they wouldn't go for a couple of 40C or the like.

---
https://www.avg.com