[AT] Did the engine seize up on ATIS?

Howard Pletcher hrpletch at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 08:43:18 PDT 2019

I had a friend that had a Pontiac Straight 8 in high school so that wasn't
new to me, but if you follow the links in Brad's link you will find
U-shaped and H-shaped engines which I had never heard of.  Surprisingly, it
appears Pratt and Whitney gave serious consideration to an H engine for use
in late WWII engines, but it didn't prove successful.

There was also a W-24 engine consisting of 3 Duesenberg straight 8s
arranged in a double V arrangement.  Here is a picture of the gear train on
the front of that.

Howard