[AT] Kubota BX1500

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 24 12:02:17 PDT 2019

We now enjoy the availability of clamp on meters that will read DC current. I wonder if the current through the solenoid was high when the coil was energized but the spool stuck closed.

[ Spencer Yost] I had the opposite problem. My 1986 Isuzu trooper diesel would not start if the engine was hot. And I am not talking about simply up to operating temperature. I’m talking towing trailers up the mountain in the summer kind of hot.   The truck would not start without resting for a good 10 to 20 minutes. I did finally diagnose it:  The solenoid was fine but the the actuator would get stuck when the engine was at top operating temp. Only happened like three or four times.

My use of the truck changed and I never pushed it very hard for the last five years I owned it and it never happened again.

[ Cecil Bearden] I know of a Dodge diesel truck that won't engage the solenoid when the temp is below 40deg, but once it warms up it works fine.  Makes perfect sense.   I prefer a pull cable to shut off the injection pump...   Old School

[Todd Markle] My guess would be the electric shut off solenoid. If I remember correctly, the "at rest" position of the solenoid is "engine off". when you turn the key to start it, the solenoid moves to the "engine run" position. I'm guessing the solenoid works when cold but doesn't have enough grunt to reopen when hot.

[ Mike M ] Question for you diesel guys out there. My neighbor has a Kubota BX1500, (Garden tractor size) I don't know the year, but it starts and runs fine. However if he shuts it off, it won't start until it sits for 30 minutes, then it fires up and runs just fine. Any thoughts?