[AT] Straight 8 engine question

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 16:49:55 PDT 2019

One of my brother-in-laws called me today with a question. He had been at a
small local to him tractor show and there was some campfire discussion
(maybe with a lot of shim-stock) about re-powering old tractors. You know
the sort of thing, doing something like the Funk Ford conversions etc. He
said that at one point a guy was talking about using a straight 8 out of an
old GMC truck. He got to thinking about it later and couldn't recall ever
seeing a straight 8 in a GMC truck. I have no idea if they were talking
about a pickup or maybe a larger truck. I got to searching around and found
a lot of interesting reading but nothing that said yes or no on a straight
8 engine in a GMC truck.
I already knew that Buick, Cadillac, Olds and Pontiac had straight 8
options and that Chevy didn't. I also learned that the 1953 Packard I
almost bought back about 1961 probably had 9 main bearings...  :-) I just
knew that that long flat-head under that hood looked long enough to land an
airplane on.
Anybody here have that knowledge?

.

Francis Robinson