[AT] OT Bicycle program

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 12 13:08:29 PDT 2019

If I go to a higher end bike shop there is often someone working on bicycles.

[Brian VanDragt]I didn't know there was a such thing as a bicycle mechanic.  I had a few bikes when I was a kid and I didn't need any school to figure out how they worked or how to fix them.  To me a bicycle mechanic seems about as necessary as a wheelbarrow mechanic.  Are there any wheelbarrow mechanic degrees?

[James Peck] So true. This link lists a couple of vocational bicycle mechanic programs. The problem such programs have is that everybody who pays for the course expects a completion certificate, regardless of the skill level they end up with. The link does mention that big earnings should not be expected.

https://forums.mtbr.com/tooltime/highest-regarded-bike-mechanic-school-north-america-827055.html

The recently exposed college admissions cheating scandal is possible because once admitted, the overrated students will get good enough grades to graduate.

[Stephen]There is no such thing as an Associate Degree in Bicycle Mechanics.

The program in the link provided is not intended to train bicycle mechanics.  It uses the bicycle as a case study in modern manufacturing, encompassing welding and fabrication of a variety of materials (advanced high-alloy steels, aluminum, titanium) plus composite (aka "carbon fiber") techniques, plastic injection molding, CAD design work, etc etc.  I find it a very clever way of engaging the students.