[AT] 4020 troubles

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Mon Mar 19 17:14:24 PDT 2018

A bit of an update on the 4020 water in the oil situation. I kept
searching for the leak and only found it on #6. Appears coolant was
coming in on both sides of the sleeve. At this point it doesn't matter
if it was a bad sleeve or head gasket (hopefully no cracked head) in
addition to a bad O-ring. Doing an in frame rebuild. Ordered a kit from
Abilene machine along with new injectors and a water pump. Head and
manifolds went to the machine shop to be reworked. Crank is actually
still standard--nobody can say for sure if a new crank was installed
when the replacement block was put in about 5000 hours ago--don't
remember about the head either. I will say having a replacement block
and the head to match has made this an oddball machine to work on
(ordering parts). I am quite surprised at Deere's inconsistency on this
engine. I still have to get 5 pistons and all the sleeves out, then I'll
begin cleaning things up. Thank God for smart phones, been taking lots
of pictures. There is a ton more parts to pull off this than the average
gas engine.

John Hall