[AT] Make repairs or payments

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Tue Jan 30 07:28:33 PST 2018

When people talk about how "they don't make points like they used to",
there is a very specific reason for the comment. In the 1930's points
were sometimes still made with platinum contacts. They were not plated,
the contacts were actually a piece of platinum. This was true of
Studebakers at least. After the Platinum days, the contacts were still
made of unplated oxidation resistant pieces for the contact itself. Then
the switch was made to plated contact points and thinner and thinner
plating. While in some cases the plating material was substantially
superior in both burn and oxidation resistance, the issue has been that
the thin material can be consumed easier and that it cannot be touched
up by filing or scraping like the older contacts.
      The other factor I know I rarely think about is the "spring"
material. I recall in my first decade of working on motors (the 1970s in
my case), I saw thicker spring material in the points that I replaced
and also in the replacements I used than in recent times. In the days of
slow engines (our antique tractors for instance), the material needed to
flex less than it would on a faster motor. I cannot speak with any
authority on this, but I wonder if as thinner material has been used
could the resistance to breakage have been reduced? While Metallurgy has
dramatically improved since the 1930s, so has the pressure to use
cheaper and cheaper materials and amounts of material on low price
items. It would be logical that the spring steel in points would have
undergone "cost-saving modifications", especially since all of them are
in the cost competitive aftermarket for all of the items we work on.
                 Grant Brians - Hollister,California farmer of
vegetables, herbs, edible flowers, nuts and fruit