[AT] cold weather woes

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Fri Jan 19 14:05:09 PST 2018

Greg, around here I use straight gas, year around. Now we don't get real
cold usually. Yes, its gets in the 20's a lot here at night, but nothing
like what you northern and midwestern guys do. I don't know what kind of
gas we burn in vehicles, but have noticed my truck has dropped 3mpg in
the last couple months. At one time, the larger counties in NC were
REQUIRED to use oxygenated fuel in the winter due to pollution. I don't
know if we are still burning that crap or not. Any way, back to old
tractors. We had a recent cold snap where we stayed below freezing for 2
weeks---that is NOT normal for us. Anyway, I cranked up 4 tractors and a
lawnmower when it was about 20 outside. None had been cranked in at
least 2 months. 3 of them were 6-volt. 2 had magneto, the rest were
battery ignition.  The gas in one of them was put in the tank in
September, don't know when I bought it. Maybe using straight gas if
available would help you out.

John Hall