[AT] Clutch Shudder

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Thu Jan 18 19:09:11 PST 2018

I was recently reflecting on the long list of things that I know absolutely nothing about, and believe it not Belarus tractors were on that list. :-)

But that's never stopped me before so here goes…

With dual plate clutches, I have seen where a full disengage drags the second plate between the floater plate and pressure plate. Did you check for that?  If that is that case you should see a little reverse movement that ends up grabbing the outboard friction plate right before final disengagement.  Might need a helper operating the clutch while you inspect.  I hope you have a good access hole to observe.

By the way, dual plate clutches are common on high output race cars around here where weight and space make high horsepower single plate clutches impractical. You might want to check the race car sites. They probably have a lot of experience with dual plate clutches.

That's all I got. Sorry.

PS:  About 10 hours of hard use might correct this as well if you find nothing wrong.

Spencer Yost